Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Lost Job / Blessing In Disguise? (2/26)

Longevity at ANY employment in my line of work (IT) is simply an idea and / or expression and never something I can (or ever will) experience. Quite suprisingly, I lost my job as my position at a firm in Miami as "Senior Programmer" was terminated this week.

I was the kind of person who stood by his work, was never late (always came into the office early) and rarely left before the quitting time of 5:30 PM. Even worse, I foregone many opportunities for storm chasing in 2009, because of this job, trying to make a difference. My work was of the best quality and during the entire year of 2009, my attendance was next to impeccable.

So what was the results of all this hard work and such? In the end result, basically I was "canned" ... Used for my services, and thrown right out into the street (quite literally). The corporate world sure can be a very hostile place.

Exactly six months before my termination date - I mean right to the EXACT day - I was written up for the stress, as well as trying to be a "hero" and do someone elses job.

The stress of this past job has taken a MAJOR toll on both my health and my sanity. The same week I was terminated, I found out that I had the start of a bleeding stomach ulcer. Not good. This and on top of seeing all that "stuff" I MISSED in mid June 2009 in Nebraska!

Now out of a job, I am collecting unemployment, and drawing on some money I saved for such "rainy days" ... In retrospect, not really so "rainy" after all. The unemployment should pay the rent. My car is paid off. My ulcer should quickly heal ... And if anything happens in the central US in this coming spring for chasing, I just GO ... No haggling with time off.

Maybe this time off ain't so bad after all?

No comments: