Monday, April 26, 2010

Tornado Destroys MS Town (4/24)

On Suturday, April 24, 2010, a violent tornado, rated at EF-4 (out of 5) and nearly two miles wide, struck the town of Yazoo City, Mississippi just before noon. I was out in the Central USA for a storm chasing trip and witnessed this devastating storm, and it's parent fast-moving cyclic HP supercell first-hand.



The damage to the south side of Yazoo City, near the junction of Highways 49 and 16, is extensive. Four peoplw were killed and the tornado had winds of at least 170 MPH, with a path (on the ground) for over 100 miles, with the supercell crossing nearly twice that ... This long-track storm crossed the entire state of Mississippi in the matter of hours.

My heart and prayers goes out to all affected by this disaster. I am happy I was there to be among those who stopped chasing the storm and lended aid to those in need. Every person helps in such situations!

You can also visit my chase logs for 2010, which includes this event and others, in my STORM CHASING area on my web site. The link to jump right to the storm chasing area for 2010 is also provided below.

http://www.sky-chaser.com/mwcl2010.htm

No comments: